Save up to $4065 on insulation installation with Insulation Grants
Ontario homeowners can receive up to $4065 in Federal grants with the eco ENERGY retrofit program. The federal government recently approved the 2011 budget and with it the extension of the popular eco ENERGY retrofit program with $400million in new funding. The program has now restarted and with it the chance to significantly improve the insulation in your home, reduce your energy costs and have the Canadian government contribute thousands towards the cost of the renovation work.
How much can you expect to save?
Below are the latest insulation renovation grant figures:
- Ceiling insulation - A minimum of 20 percent of the total ceiling area must be insulated to qualify. When the roof has more than one type (i.e. attic, cathedral ceiling, flat roof), all applicable grants are pro-rated based on the ceiling area that is insulated. The maximum grant for any combination of attic, cathedral ceiling and flat roof is $750.
- Exterior wall insulation - A minimum of 20 percent of the total exterior wall area must be insulated to qualify. The grant is based on the percentage of wall area that is insulated and does not include walls between individual units. The maximum grant is $1875
Exterior Wall insulation details…
- Exposed Floor insulation - Insulate your entire exposed floor and increase its insulation value by a minimum of RSI 3.5 (R-20). A minimum floor area of 14 square metres (150 square feet) must be insulated to qualify. Maximum grant $190
When both a basement and crawl space are present, all applicable grants are pro-rated to a maximum of $1,250 based on the total wall area that is insulated.
- Basement Insulation - A minimum of 20 percent of the foundation's wall area (including basement and crawl space walls, when applicable) must be insulated to qualify. The grant is based on the percentage of wall area that is insulated and does not include walls between individual units. Maximum grant $1250
- Crawl Space Insulation - Insulate 100 percent of the crawl space's total exterior wall area, including the header area. Maximum grant $1000
What do I need to do?
Here are the details of the new program:
1. The start date for the program extension is June 6th 2011
Before you start your energy upgrades you must register
3. Hire a local service organization
licensed by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan), and they will send a certified energy advisor to perform a pre-retrofit audit. You will receive a personalized report, including a checklist of recommended retrofits to improve the energy efficiency of your home or MURB (multi unit residential building)
3. Contact a reputable insulation contractor such as KinLar Insulation to complete the work to the required standard and keep the receipts to present to the energy advisor.
4. Arrange for an energy advisor to perform a post retrofit audit no later than March 31st 2012
5. You must show all your receipts to your energy advisor during the final evaluation to verify that you purchased and installed eligible upgrades after June 6, 2011, and after a pre-retrofit evaluation.
6. NRCan typically issues a cheque to the homeowner within 90 days of the post retrofit audit
Ontario homeowners not only have the opportunity to reduce their energy costs by upgrading the insulation in their homes but also can receive up to $4065 in insulation grants from the Federal governments eco ENERGY retrofit program towards the cost of your renovation.
Contact KinLar now for a free consultation,